Annual Shandur Polo Festival July 201910 Days Tour Package
A Combine exploration of unique Kalash Culture might Hindukush, the Karakoram & Himalayan One in a lifetime opportunity
Pakistan, a magnificent country on the map of the world which houses some of the majestic mighty mountain ranges of the world. Out of the 14 highest mountain peaks of the world, 4 are in Pakistan that notably lies in Karakorum Mountain Range. In addition to the Karakorum, there are hundreds of peaks above 7000 meters are situated in the Karakorum, Himalaya, Hindu Kush, and Nanga Parbat region are the most famous mountain ranges of Pakistan. All of these mountains add more amazement to the scenic beauty of landscapes. These mountain ranges are storing the 3rd largest glacier deposits of the world after Antarctica and Greenland.
Many world wonders, including the world highest Highway (KKH) and Shandur- the world highest polo ground on the ground.
At the top of the world, Shandur festival is an amazing challenging festival for the participants, celebrated by the tribes of Gilgit and Chitral in the northern areas of Pakistan.
This is a centuries-old festival, the tribes from the mountain regions of Gilgit-Baltistan and Chitral meet annually at the fascinating pasture and highest polo ground of the world (12500 feet=3810 meter). A living civilization, prestigious heritage and amazing culture of mountain communities are practiced in a way that attracts and hold attentively by a unique power, personal charm, unusual nature with some special quality; enthral: a vivacity that is fascinating the audience to arouse the interest or curiosity of allure.
Shandur top in District Upper Chitral is often called the “Roof of the world” is vivacious challenged for every life who are not acclimatized with the high altitude atmosphere – is multiplying the challenges for the sportsmen and the polo horses( evolved over the past 45 to 55 million years from a small multi-toed creature and taxonomic family Equidae) at the world highest polo ground in a unique freestyle polo- the Game of Kings and kings of games- and others sports and culture activities under the open sky adjacent to one of the largest glacier lake on the top roof of Hindukush range. The polo tournament is featured in the first episode of Himalaya with Michael Palin. Various teams of Gilgit- Baltistan and Chitral have always played the game of polo closest to its original form. In the past, the British Rulers were the patrons of the game.
The festival also includes full night folk music, dancing, showcasing craft and arts, culture show performed by a different group of Chitral and Gilgit Baltistan in the camping villages established in the vicinity of the polo ground near the glacier lake. Other attractions of the festival include trout fishing, mountaineering, trekking, hiking, horse riding, paragliding and motorized gliding and a beautiful display of fireworks.
Kalash or Kalasha valleys are a wonderland for tourism: The Kalash are an indigenous people living in District Lower Chitral KP Pakistan. the Kalash hold on to their own religious beliefs, along with their own identity, way of life, and language. The Kalash people are also noted for their fair skin and blue eyes, leading to a popular hypothesis that they were of Greek origin, specifically the descendants of Alexander the Great’s soldiers who followed him on his campaign in India.
They live in three specific valleys in the south of Chitral- Bumburat, Birir, and Rumbur, an estimated population of about 4000 people, which makes them the smallest minority group of Pakistan.
Kalasha culture is one of the ancient and rich cultures from across the world and might be described as being of universal value, would be something which was extraordinary and unlike anything else in other parts of the world. The Kalasha are a unique people, unlike any other on the globe in cultural practices and way of life, clearly differ from both the surrounding cultures of Pakistan and the rest of the world. Greek volunteers in the valleys said that the ‘’Kalasha are the cultural heroes of 21st century’’. The Kalasha way of life is finely balanced, allowing both men and women to do their duties freely. The Kalasha society is not a male-dominated society like other communities in Pakistan. The Kalash social organization is very effective and ensures there is no cruelty or discrimination based on issues of gender. The Kalasha culture is appreciated globally here one cannot marry with a close relative, including second cousins not within the same caste.
The Kalash peoples believe in a single, creative God, referred to in the Kalasha language as Dezau- use the Persian term Khudai as well. Kalasha peoples do not have any routine daily prayers, they do pray whenever they initiate any activities like harvesting, ploughing, construction and whenever the favour and honour of DEZAU are needed. Most prayers are offered during Kalasha festivities. There is a strong belief of in purity and impurity in the Kalasha culture. In the Kalasha belief system, women are considered to be especially impure during menstruation and childbirth. There is a separate building for these women and it is prohibited for men to enter the area. The area is known as Bashali. Kalash women have a unique and colourful dress that serves as the most obvious symbol of identity for the Kalash community. They are fun of music and dance and both male and female celebrate the four different events together by dancing and celebrating happiness. It may be not wrong if we say that Kalash is the happiest and innocent people in the world.
Arrive from Peshawar / Islamabad to KALASH
Full day to Explore Bamburet Kalash valley
Return to Chitral 45km and overnight stay
Drive to Shandur 160km, 7- 8 hours drive
2 days at Shandur pass for final of the event and drive back to Phunder for overnight stay
Drive to Gilgit lunch at Gilgit and afternoon drive to Hunza 100 km 1 hour for overnight stay
Local visits in Karimabad full day exploration evening drive to Gilgit for overnight stay
Drive to Naran via Babusar Pass 4137meters for an overnight stay
Drive to Peshawar / Islamabad after exploring Buddha sites at Abbottabad/Haripur 6-7hrs
Overnight stay at hotel.
Early breakfast and return to destination.
In this venture, we assure you quality time. Chitral travel Bureau is one of the local tour and trekking companies in Pakistan. Combining the natural beautify, culture and heritage together is one the best tour we are offering to our clients/customer and guest. Please do not hesitate to Contact Us or visit Discovery Air Services for more details and tanneries.
- Pick and drop from the airport
- Full board hotel accommodation at Islamabad, Kalash, Chitral, Phunder, Hunza, Gilgit, and Naran -7days
- Camping at Shandur= 2 nights
- Camping arrangement at Shandur+ food
- Guide from Islamabad to Islamabad
- Transport= Islamabad to Dir by Coaster
- Transferred to Jeep from Dir-Kalash-Shandur-Hunza Gilgit
- Transport Gilgit to Naran and Islamabad 2 days by Coaster
- Overnight at Islamabad and transfer to the air port.
Confirm your booking with 50% in Advance Payment & Remaining 50% will be paid at the time departure
- Discovery Family strictly follows below terms and conditions, you are supposed to read all
- The members shall not be indulged in any act reflecting moral or character failing during the activities.
- Using drugs or found party to drug sale or possession is strictly prohibited. If anyone finds or caught using any kind of drug will be expelled from the trip right away on the spot and the person will not be eligible for any kind of refund.
- Use of violent behavior including altercation, insinuations of indecent kind, verbal and physical abuse and assault, aggravated behavior, or any other act amounting to unbecoming of member are strictly prohibited.
- All members would give extra care for the local environmental care. Garbage (tins. Water bottles, wrappers etc) shall be suitably disposed without polluting water sources.
- The host reserves the right to cancel trip without prior notice for any reasons deemed appropriate by them. In such a case the registered participants will receive full refund.
- During the trip, the itineraries may be affected by reasons beyond control of the hosts like un availability of hotels after the closing date of registrations. In such situation, organizers will not be held responsible in any case.
- On steep ascends in mountainous areas, air conditioned of the buses will be operational on on-off basis to keep the vehicles from overheating
- Every humanly possible care will be taken for the safety of members, still each venture can be fraught with endangers of unforeseen natural disasters like avalanches and crevasse falls or any other accidents and sometimes such disasters cannot be ruled out. In any such type of accident during the whole tour, the company, group leader and the tour organizers will not be held responsible in any form.
- In case of theft, lost or damage to personal belongings during the duration of the trip, organizers will not be held responsible in any case.
- On adventure trek of this type, weather, local politics, transport or a multitude of other factors beyond the control of organizers can result in a change of itinerary. It is, however, very unlikely that the itinerary would be substantially altered; if alterations are necessary the Leader and Guide will decide what is the best alternative, taking into consideration the best interests of the whole group.
- Payment Policy:
- 50% payment for confirmation of Booking / Registration
- All payment should be handover to organisers at the start of trip.
- Amount more than 5 lac can be paid in two installments.
- Easy paisa or Bank deposit slips should be provided at the time of Departure
- Cancellation Policy:
- 24 HRS or less, 100% cancellation charges does apply.
- 48 HRS or less, 100% cancellation charge does apply.
- 3 days or more– 50% cancellation charge does apply.
- 7 days or more – 30% cancellation charge does apply.
- 20% deduction charges for “Early booking discount” holders on cancellation after 7 days will be applicable.
- In case of refund, Company will make refund within 6 working days.
- Organizers reserve the right to assign seats in the Coaster/Hi Roof/Hi Ace/Jeep.
- The Organizers reserves the right to use group photos for electronic/digital media.
- Smoking in the transport is strictly prohibited.
- The Organizers reserves the right to terminate / regret any participant due to indiscipline; without any refund.
- Food shall be decided by the management (You can ask for the menu)
- Menu can be changed subject to availability etc.